Monday, February 19, 2007

Knitting Serendipity

I was knitting this sweater... it was looking weird. Remember the weird sweaters Morticia Addams would knit? Well, this one took on a life of its own at some point and when I tried it on Maggie, she broke into snortin' giggles. It was obvious even to her that it would not fit ANYBODY right. So I frogged it (for those unaccustomed to the highly technical terms used in knitting, it's called "frogging" because you "rip-it, rip-it" out).

I stopped frogging when I had only the shoulders and tried it on Maggie again to check shoulder width. The girls loved that! They said to leave it like that and Maggie swore she would wear it. I knit a few more twisted cables and bound off. Meave took it over, and here she models it.


Here is Meave in what we call the "zipper cap." Two years ago, my brother-in-law Mark had an aneurysm while he was teaching a stage combat workshop in Chicago. I went to keep my sister Katie company for a few days while he had surgery and we waited for him to recover enough to go home to Louisiana. The surgery was quite extensive and left him with a huge "zipper" on the side of his head. So while I was there, I knit him a cap like this to both warm his bald head and decorate his zipper. Wish I could find the pattern again.

Crown of the zipper cap.


Maggie's cap was an "I'm bored and need to make something now" inspiration. Cast on, knit whatever, whenever, until it fits someone. Maggie loves hats, the wilder the better, so she nabbed this one. She won't let me block it...s'okay...it's wiggly like she is.


Free Blog Counter